Forgetting Dreams

I’m so frustrated with the number of dreams I forget when I wake up. Not so much the ones that were mental stories, but the ones that could have been great ideas but were forgotten the moment I woke up.

Ever get that feeling?

When I was a teenager, I remember speaking to a psychologist as part of our school program, which aimed to help students find the perfect career. At some point in our conversation, the psychologist asked me what I usually dream about. I answered, “I don’t really have any dreams.” Which, from my perspective, was true, because I’m not a fussy sleeper and I usually wake up with no memories of any dreams occurring.

The psychologist was a lovely lady, but she wasn’t happy with my answer. “That’s not true! Everyone dreams! Every time they fall asleep. Everyone dreams.”

So naturally I thought, “Well, where do all these dreams that she’s talking about go and why can’t I remember them?”

Last night I had the perfect dream for an idea. Idea for what? No idea. It disappeared as soon as I woke up. I keep trying to bring it back to my conscious but it’s not working. To be fair, it may not have been as impressive as I thought. Who knows. But it was certainly strong enough to wake me up in the middle of the night.

I wonder how many great ideas I’ve lost because of fleeing dreams.

*begins research*

31 Comments Add yours

1. Just imagine not being able to tell the difference between your dreams and reality! Yep that’s me and it kinda sucks haha. Please give my most recent blog post a look if you’re interested I really think you’d enjoy it.

1. Thank you! Will do! ^^

Liked by 1 person

2. Hi! Omg I have written about this today! Last night and the night before I’ve had dreams where I’ve figured something important out and then I’ve woken up and it’s gone!! Where has it gone? So annoying! X

1. Ah! Ikr? Hehehe let me check out your story! ^^
      Thank you so much for commenting! xoxo

1. I’m following you now, I like your blogs! 😀

2. Thank you lovely! I shall return the favor! ^^

3. Russell says:

Sometimes I dream I can fly. It’s such an exhilarating experience. I can feel the wind on my face as I rise above the clouds and whisk away to whatever destination my subconscious mind chooses to take me. Then the box fan falls over with a crash and I wake up and realize I’m just an ordinary guy with no superpowers whatsoever. I hate it when that happens.

Liked by 1 person

1. Flying dreams are my favourite! ^_^ It’s a shame they aren’t real.

4. I know exactly what you mean! I have recently woken up with two tremendous ideas for posts, and forgotten them by the time my big toe is out of bed.
    Thanks for dropping in and hitting the follow on my blog. I appreciate it. Welcome aboard.

1. Likewise! Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment! ^_^

5. cathum says:

I’m endorsing all of the above suggestions, except, low-tech version is a small notebook on the bedside table, and as soon as you wake, write down whatever fragment of dream you remember, even if it’s only an impression. On my BA course I had to keep a dream diary for a term of my creative writing course. What I discovered is the more you write, the more you remember.

Liked by 2 people

1. Oh wow, that’s great advice! Thank you! I do have the notebook and pen ready, but need to make more use of it. ^_^

6. aiharun says:

Hi Jelena. Thanks for following my blog. I don’t usually remember most of my dreams either. However the most common theme that keeps on recurring since I was younger until now is about running out of time and meeting deadlines. Being late for the train, for the airport, for work, for exams, homework not completed. The intense worry in those dreams was real and how relieved I was when I woke up. 😅

1. hi! 😀 oh dear, i don’t like those dreams where i miss deadlines xD
      Thank you so much for liking and commenting! ❤

Liked by 1 person

7. I agree with the other comments keep a note of your dreams eventually you will become more aware that your dreams are actually sending you messages 😉

Liked by 2 people

8. Thanks and I am now following you, too. 🙂

1. Yey! Thank you! ❤

1. Also, there’s a recording mechanism or app on smartphones these days. If you’re the type (unlike me) who sleeps with your phone on, grab it and record your dream before you forget it. 😉

I don’t sleep with mine on because I’m a light sleeper and I get up very early so I don’t want to hear any vibrating or notifications while I’m trying to sleep. /:(

Liked by 1 person

2. Ah same, notifications would definitely wake me up. But I’ll give it a try nevertheless! 😉

9. I know that feeling too well. It’s so hard to remember them. Many people suggest keeping a dream journal. That’s hard for me to do because I don’t have a table lamp on my side of the bed. And my writing space is not what you would call a writing space. Still, it would be beneficial to have a notebook nearby to record what you dream about.

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh I completely understand your thoughts, especially since I’m not sure if I’d be able to write the thoughts down fast enough. *sigh*
      However, I am definitely taking your advice. Maybe it will come back to me again in another dream. ^^
      Thank you so much for your comment!

1. Sometimes I have recurring dreams. I think they’re trying to tell me something. Like get this down. It’s too important to ignore. So I do. Maybe nothing comes of it, maybe it gets used somewhere. I don’t really know. But the fact I got it down is what’s important.

2. True! They’re quite the peculiar thing, dreams. ^_^

10. Grim's Crypt says:

Well many wonderful ideas can still come from daydreaming. Just allowing your mind to wander in whatever direction it chooses to go. You’re awake and would be able to remember. I really enjoyed this.

1. That’s very true! Thank you! ^_^

1. Grim's Crypt says:

You’re welcome! 🙂

11. nickimags says:

Ha! I know that feeling so well!! 🙂

1. Right!? I’m still trying to remember it. xD
      Thank you for taking the time to comment! ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. If this happens in the middle of the night or anytime, keep a pen and paper by your bed and write it down. And thanks for the follow!

2. Oh that’s a really good idea! 😀